The skin under the eyes is very sensitive thin and sparsely dotted with oil glands, unlike the skin on the rest of the body. Due to various reasons, this skin becomes very thin and dry, leading to the visible appearance of veins. This makes skin appear very dark.
Some of the main causes behind the formation of dark circles are heredity, aging, dry skin, prolonged crying, working for long hours in front of a computer, mental or physical stress, lack of sleep and an unhealthy diet. Both men and women of different age groups can have dark circles. Dark circles are not a genuine skin issue, but they make people look tired, exhausted, unhealthy and older.
You can easily get rid of unsightly shadows under your eyes using some easy home remedies:
- Two cotton balls soaked in grated cucumber juice (since cucumber is considered a cooling agent), when placed on the eyes, gives relief to the tiredness of the eyes. While this is considered as one of the best remedies for under eye dark circles.
- Another option is to mix cucumber juice with lemon juice in equal amounts. Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture on the affected skin. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash it off with water. Follow this remedy daily for at least one week.
- Almond oil is a great natural ingredient that is very beneficial for the delicate skin around your eyes. Regular usage of almond oil will help fade your under eye circles. Before going to bed, apply a little almond oil over the dark circles and gently massage it into the skin. Leave it on overnight. The next morning, wash it off with cold water. Follow this remedy daily until the dark circles disappear.
- Mix one teaspoon of tomato juice with one-half teaspoon of lemon juice. Gently apply this mixture on the dark circles and allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Rinse it off with water. Follow this remedy twice a day for a few weeks. Simply using tomato juice will also work.
- You can also drink a glass of tomato juice with some mint leaves, lemon juice and salt. For maximum results, be sure to drink this juice immediately after making it. Drink it once or twice a day for about a week.
- lemon juice can also help remove dark circles under the eyes. Use a cotton ball to apply fresh lemon juice around your eyes. Leave it on for about 10 minutes and rinse it off. Do this once daily for a few weeks.
- Another option is to make a thick paste by mixing one tablespoon of lemon juice, two tablespoons of tomato puree, a pinch of gram flour (besan) and turmeric powder. Apply this thick paste gently around your eyes. Rinse it off with clean water after 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat two or three times every week.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, specially the ones rich in fibre. Avoiding excess of sweets and chocolates also helps.
- Avoid stress, tension, anxiety by practicing asanas such as pranayama.
- Give your eyes enough rest. Sleep for at least six to eight hours a day. While working under strenuous conditions take a break and cover your eyes with your palms for about 10 minutes and relax.
You can also check more Effective Home Remedies to enhance your beauty.